Monday, June 27, 2011

Under the Tuscan Sun

I was prepared to write about the beauty of Cinque Terre, however I've
found that my partner in crime has already covered this aspect of Italy
in a previous post. Thus I am forced to write about something different.
In fact, this post is all about how Italy is different. Let's go!



Toward the end of the trail in Cinque Terre, there is the famous “Walk
of Love”. This is written everywhere. I wonder what it is like here on
Valentine’s day.
This is very different from the graffiti that I have seen in America in
that the graffiti in America is often vulgar. In Italy however, they
just write "love". I suppose all you need is love!



Are you in love? Are you ready to never look back and lock in your final
answer? Perfect. Just go put a pad lock on this fence with you and your
significant other's name written on the other side, then throw the key
into the ocean. Nothing says “I will always love you” like a lock on a
fence.



I think these people have a lock somewhere. We were relaxing on the
beach when the people right next to us started, to put it nicely,
"getting to know each other". I know it’s creepy to take a picture, but
this picture illustrates a huge difference between Italy and the states.
There is definitely a lot more public affection in Italy. In fact, I was
talking to some Italians about it, and they think the reason that George
Clooney and his girlfriend broke up was because he was not affectionate
enough in public with her. What this picture doesn't illustrate is the
other 300 people sitting right next to them that can see them. It would
just make me nervous to do this in front of everyone, wouldn't it you?



Swimsuits are more like underwear in Italy. There is a lot of man-thigh
on the beaches. One interesting thing about the beaches is that
everyone, no matter their age, weight, or physical appearance, goes out
and has a fun time in the sun and water. In America it seems to me that
people are very concerned with how they look, especially in a swimsuit,
however in Italy, it's not a big deal. Got a little extra mass around
your middle? No problem! Just make sure to bring some sunscreen.



That water is SO blue. So beautiful but not really fun to get in I have
to admit. The beach is pebble-ly and the water was rough so getting into
the sea involves getting pummeled with rocks (one hit my ankle pretty
square and knocked me over). Fun to look at though! Also, while we were
sitting on the beach, every once in a while a really big wave would come
around and the water would get to all the people sitting on their
towels, and also wet all of our things. Every time it would happen,
people's sandals were swept off to sea and they would have to try to
chase them down. Italy is something else. I deeply encourage anyone to
make the trip across the pond to see this wonderful place.

Alla prossima!

Jon Samp

Parole utili: Sciopero/SOP = strike/train not in service (the
trains do that sometimes); Spaggia = beach; protezione solare =
sunscreen (apply generously)

1 comment:

  1. How wonderful for you to experience so many of the differences between Italians and Americans. Much as we think that TV, internet, and MTV have increased our awareness of other countries, you really must experience it first-hand to truly understand so many of the differences. I have to agree about all the extra "man thighs" and surely hope they remembered to bring extra sun screen. Continue to have fun.

    ReplyDelete