Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Finding calm

A day in Florence is like no other. A variety of four-wheeled, three-wheeled-, two-wheeled, and human obstacles can stand in your way, even just during a simple walk to school in the morning. The city is very stimulating, be it with the beautiful scenery of the Tuscan hills, the architecture, or the various svelte Florentines that pass you by, and you have to be careful not to let things like the sweet smells from a pasticceria distract you from an oncoming Vespa. Like many things in Italy, life is a balance of fast and slow, urgent and relaxed. Because of this, tranquil places like cattedrali (cathedrals), cappelle (chapels), sinagoghe (synagogues), and moschee (mosques) are great places to take a deep breath and relax. During my time in both Florence and Italy as a whole, I have visited many of these places and found relief from the sometimes stressful life of Italian cities. I don't visit these places for religious reasons, but more for the calm they induce. They are great places to think. The quiet, cool, and beauty of a cathedral or synagogue can help anyone forget about an angry encounter with a taxi driver, a long line at a caffe, or the general claustrophobia of city life. They are great places to sketch, people watch, and admire domes of all sizes. I've visited cathedrals in Rome, Corniglia, Florence, Siena, and Pisa during my stay in Italy as well as well as the Tempio Maggiore (Great Synagogue) and mosque in Florence. All have astounded me with their artwork, architecture, and gilded streams of light, but my favorite so far has been the tiny little church of San Pietro in Corniglia. I stumbled upon it, sweat on my brow and gelato in hand, after a hike in Cinque Terre National Park. The temperature was approaching 41 degrees Celsius and my legs needed rest. I climbed the small set of stairs at San Pietro, and found myself alone in a beautiful and tiny cathedral with candles glowing and music drifting from distant corners. I sat on a pew for a few minutes, and re-energized myself for the last part of my hike.

Ceiling of the Pisa cathedral in late-afternoon light.
So, anytime you are in need of a quiet place away from the chaos of an Italian city, take the hike to San Pietro in Corniglia or just visit the nearest synagogue. Both will do the trick. --Jessica Tierney

Key words: cattedrali (cathedrals), cappelle (chapels), sinagoghe (synogogues), moschee (mosques), duomo (dome), calma (calm)

No comments:

Post a Comment